Tuesday 7 August 2012

Peach and pistachio baked cheesecake


I am republishing this recipe so I can send it in to Cook Eat Delicious' blog event for September, where the theme is peaches. Check out the challenge for yourself!

I had some peaches that needed using up as they were getting past their best, so when I saw a gorgeous recipe for apricot cheesecake on Kit's blog i-lost in Austen, I decided I would make it and substitute peaches for apricots. Since then I've found a whole host of blogging challenges I can enter this in as well, but I promise that was pure coincidence!

So please do check out Kit's blog for her recipe and if you haven't been to her blog before, you're missing out!

She made a cake rather than biscuit base for the cheesecake, and given the cheese part is made with cottage cheese I think it might be relatively low fat - or maybe that's wishful thinking!

For the full list of ingredients please go to Kit's blog; here's the step-by-step of what I did.

Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a square loose-bottomed cake tin.

Beat 175g margarine and 150g sugar.


Add 200g flour, 1 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt and 2 tbsp milk. Mix well.


Spread mixture into the tin and bake for about 15 mins, then leave to cool.


For the filling, beat 150g margarine with 100g sugar and 2 eggs


Kit's recipe then says to beat in 750g cottage cheese. I had two 300g tubs which I hoped would be enough, and it was.


Beat in 100g cornflour


Here's the base which has finished cooking in the oven. It looks a little uneven but that doesn't really matter.


Once it has cooled, pour the filling mixture on top.


Cut some peaches in half, peel them and remove the stone (Kit used apricots). I used four peaches which placed evenly in rows covered the whole of the cheesecake.


Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes. This is how it came out:


Then chop some pistachios finely


Sprinkle in the middle of each peach half.



I have to say, it tasted absolutely gorgeous! The peaches were slightly sharp and the cheesecake texture was deliciously creamy, and the cake base was a really nice change from biscuit. I think I will definitely make this again and might try some different fruit on top next time.


As I said, I made this purely because I wanted to use up some peaches, but it fits very neatly into a few blogging challenges. Firstly, the One Ingredient Challenge: the one ingredient this month is peach. This challenge is hosted by Nazima at Working London Mummy and Laura at How to Cook Good Food.


Peaches are in season, so I am sending this to Simple and In Season, hosted by Ren of Fabulicious Food.


As I bookmarked this as soon as I saw it on Kit's blog, I am also sending it to Bookmarked Recipes, hosted by Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes and founded by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.

And finally I have just come across another blog challenge where the theme is cheesecake! So I am entering this in the Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Mom's Crazy Cooking. I've just managed to squeeze this in before the challenge ends - there are so many amazing cheesecake recipes on there, I want to try them all!

I've just found one more challenge I can send this in to, hooray! Bake Fest is hosted by Foodomania and is a roundup of vegetarian baked recipes blogged in August.



I am republishing this recipe so I can send it in to Cook Eat Delicious' blog event for September, where the theme is peaches. Check out the challenge for yourself!

21 comments:

  1. How lovely. A cake based cheesecake that may even be good for you! I love cottage cheese and it's so low fat. Love the topping of peaches and pistachios. Such a great combination. I will check out Kit's recipe now, thanks!
    A great One Ingredient entry :-)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm pleased I came across the One Ingredient challenge, I haven't entered before!

      Delete
  2. Peaches are my favorite fruit. This combo looks so tempting! I'd love for you to stop by - I'm #9 in the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! And it's a nice way to use extra peaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - I always buy a punnet thinking I will eat them as a snack at work or something then I don't get round to it (they can be a bit messy to eat at your desk!) and end up having to think of things to cook with them, or sometimes (hangs head in shame) throwing them away because they have gone mouldy!

      Delete
  4. What a unique cheesecake abd so pretty too!

    Jen #73

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good, doesn't it - when I saw it on iLostinAusten I knew I had to make it!

      Delete
  5. I'm totally obsessed with peaches now. Looks delish!
    Deena #46

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it tasted really good too, one of the nicest things I've made recently!

      Delete
  6. lovely cakey/puddingy thingy... I love my cakes like this, simply gorgeous... and there are some stunning peaches out there at the mo packed with flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this on Kit's blog too and thought it was very inventive! Love how you've recreated it and the way those big peach slices just get baked right into the cheesecake, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic cheesecake! I love the combination of peach and pistachio flavours!

    Stopping by from Crazy Cooking Challenge #59 – I pinned and tweeted your cheesecake!

    Amber
    http://thecookssister.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - I'll be sure to check out your cheesecake too!

      Delete
  9. Way to be different! Love it! Thanks for participating. I will be starting up a NEW challenge next month, stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious way to use up peaches, a wonderful looking cheesecake.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: #6 Mini Cheesecake Bites.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this looks great! Love how you managed to fit it into all the different challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad that you like this recipe & it looks great with peach too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am loving this combination of peach and pistachio and a great recipe - must have smelled divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy combo and inviting cheesecake. Thx for linking.

    Vardhini
    Event: Peaches + Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for another fantastic blog. Where else could I get this kind of information. I have a project that I am just now working on, and i am sure this will help me a lot..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, all feedback is appreciated - even the negative! However due to a lot of spam comments on this blog I have had to turn on captcha. If you have problems leaving a comment please email me at caroline@carolinemakes.net