Monday 17 September 2012

Vegan pancakes



This is a very simple recipe but I thought it was worth including as it had never occured to me you could make vegan pancakes - or that they would taste nice!
I had some friends staying a while ago (I actually think it was the morning after my birthday party back in April, but I can't remember now), one of whom is vegan. I was making hot dogs the night before so didn't want to a fry-up for breakfast as sausages twice in a row may have been too much. I immediately thought of pancakes but given the three ingredients of pancakes are flour, eggs and milk, and vegans don't eat eggs or milk, I thought that was out of the question. Until I started looking on the internet - I don't know how people managed before Google!

I found the recipe on About.com in their vegetarian section. The measurements are American-stype so you can either google (again, how did we manage before?!) the equivalent in grams/ ml or use a cup measure if you have one. You need:

1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup soya milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Mix all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the soya milk and oil and then beat into the batter until smooth.



Cook as you would any other pancake. These are air bubbles in the picture below rather than lumps!



Lovely!

I made some non-vegan pancakes with milk and eggs as well and I found the vegan ones came out a little thicker but tasted absolutely lovely, in fact I wouldn't have known they were any different. So I strongly recommend this recipe if you are cooking for vegans or people who want to eat dairy-free foods.

I am sending my pancakes into Alphabakes - hosted by yours truly - as the letter this month is P.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, all feedback is appreciated - even the negative! However due to a lot of spam comments on this blog I have had to turn on captcha. If you have problems leaving a comment please email me at caroline@carolinemakes.net